It was recently revealed that Rafael dos Anjos was asked to be a backup to take a Welterweight title fight against Tyron Woodley at UFC 214 last month in case Demian Maia didn’t accept.
Unfortunately for “RDA,” Maia did accept the title fight and went on to lose a unanimous decision to “The Chosen One” in a rather lackluster affair. But after winning his second straight bout at Welterweight by choking out Neil Magny at UFC 215 in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, dos Anjos had a little message for Woodley.
“I feel I am the only guy for the title. But I am coming for the belt. Tyron I respect you a lot, you have my respect you defend the title three times in one year, but I am coming for the belt.”
Tyron, however, was not impressed with the call out, saying that though Rafael’s win was impressive, there may be others ahead of him.
“I didn’t take it personally,” Woodley said. “All I’m saying is there are a lot of guys in my division. They always put them in front of me, and everyone thinks they have the solution to beat me,” he said during the post-fight show on Fox Sports 1.
Still, “The Chosen One” says Rafael is about two more impressive victories away from a shot at his strap.
“I think I’m the most well-rounded fighter. I punch hardest in the UFC of all the fighters. And he’s a great fighter. He’s a former world champion, and I do think one or two more fights in the division, with a great performance like he had this evening, we will see him on the other side of the Octagon. At that point, we’ll be ready to role.”
Furthermore, Woodley says he is eying a move up to Middleweight next, possibly to ace the winner of the upcoming title fight between division champion Michael Bisping and Georges St-Pierre, which is set to go down at UFC 217 on Nov. 4, 2017 in New York.
Whether or not Dana White — who isn’t a big fan of Woodley’s — grants him his wish, is another story.
For complete UFC 215 “Nunes vs. Shevchenko” results and play-by-play, click HERE!