For the first time in his career, former UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar is coming off a knockout loss.
Earlier this month, Edgar was finished by Brian Ortega at UFC 222. He’ll return on April 21 to face Cub Swanson at UFC Fight Night 128.
Edgar, during a recent interview on The MMA Hour, explained what went into taking the fight on such a quick turnaround.
“I always listen to what my coaches say and (manager) Ali (Abdelaziz) and my wife, teammates, friends,” Edgar said. “I hear everybody, but ultimately it’s definitely my decision.
“As long as I have their support…..I still probably would’ve taken it, but it’s good to have support and I had that.”
During the same interview, Edgar mentioned a return to sparring, which he later clarified on social media. “The Answer” is technically suspended from sparring until late in April after the knockout loss to Ortega by the Nevada Athletic Commission.
“I just want to clarify that the sparring I’ve been doing did not include head shots and has been technical drilling sessions,” Edgar wrote.
In an interview I did this week i said I have been sparring. I just want to clarify that the sparring I've been doing did not include head shots and has been technical drilling sessions.
— Frankie Edgar (@FrankieEdgar) March 28, 2018
The 36-year-old Edgar (22-6-1) had never been stopped via strikes before the Ortega bout. He was coming off back-to-back wins over Yair Rodriguez and Jeremy Stephens.
Back in 2016, Edgar fought Jose Aldo for the interim featherweight title. He also challenged Aldo for the same belt in 2013, both time losing decisions.
Edgar’s call to return to action shortly after suffering a tough loss comes on the heels of Michael Bisping doing the same last year. Bisping, after dropping the UFC middleweight belt to Georges St-Pierre via submission, fought Kelvin Gastelum 21 days later and suffered a first round knockout loss.