twitter google

Wanderlei Silva Handed Lifetime Ban By Commission, Fined $70,000

wanderlei silva

Wanderlei Silva made his retirement announcement recently, and now the Nevada Athletic Commission has handed down what might keep that decision intact.

The NAC indefinitely suspended Silva on Tuesday during a hearing attended by his lawyer, along with a fine of $70,000. That represents 35-percent of what he was expected to earn for a fight at UFC 175 earlier this year.

Silva declined a drug test when the NAC came to his gym. He was scheduled to meet Chael Sonnen, who later failed his own drug test and subsequently retired.

“When you run from a test, that’s about the worst thing you can do,” said Francisco Aguilar, NAC chair (thanks to for the quotes).

Ross Goodman, representing Silva, said his client planned to appeal the decision.

Despite not being in attendance, Silva posted several messages on the suspension and fine via Twitter.

“Thanks friends for all…thank you for everything,” he wrote. “And for guys who want to overthrow me…that has come, the war has just begun. Will see that we are to send this (expletive)…bunch of dandy.”