twitter google

Vitor Belfort’s Surprise Drug Test Results Will Be Released

wanderlei silva

For Vitor Belfort to compete next month against Chael Sonnen at UFC 175, the results of his surprise drug test from earlier this year will be made public knowledge.

Bob Bennett, executive director of the Nevada Athletic Commission, told Yahoo! Sports recently that, when Belfort appears June 17 to apply for his fight license, those results will be announced.

“The test results will be made public,” he said. “If Mr. Belfort appears at his hearing, which I’m sure he will, the commissioners will get to question him about any topics they want and I’m sure that will come up.”

Belfort was taken out of a planned middleweight title fight vs. Chris Weidman earlier this year after both the UFC and NAC banned the use of TRT. Belfort had previously tested positive for a banned substance in Nevada and was suspended.

The test in question took place in February, and the commission did not disclose the results because Belfort was not licensed at the time. His three most recent fights all came in Brazil for the UFC.

Belfort is replacing Wanderlei Silva in the fight against Sonnen after Silva declined a drug test recently in Nevada. That led to his license being revoked. Ironically enough, Weidman will be defending his title on the same card, taking on Lyoto Machida.

During a recent edition of his podcast, UFC commentator Joe Rogan explained that the decision by the Nevada Athletic Commission to ban TRT was because of the February drug test given to Belfort.

“Vitor was on testosterone,” Rogan said. “That’s the reason that testosterone got banned in the first place. The whole thing went down when Vitor tested positive. Before that, they were considering him for a testosterone exemption.

“And because he tested positive, they scrapped the whole testosterone program.”