Roan Carneiro made a statement in his first Octagon appearance since 2008, choking out Mark Munoz in the UFC 184 prelim main event Saturday night.
Carneiro (20-9) has now won six in a row since a 2011 submission loss, including the BattleGrounds MMA one-night tournament last year.
The veteran’s last UFC appearance came six years ago when he lost to Ryo Chonan. He went 1-3 over four fights with the promotion, including a submission loss to Jon Fitch.
“I’m back,” he said. “Thank you to the UFC for the opportunity to come back.”
Overall, Carneiro owns 10 submission wins and said the victory in Los Angeles was for Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva.”
“I’ve trained jiu-jitsu since I was 11 years old,” he said. “Give it up for Mark Munoz. I have a lot of respect for him.”