According to multiple reports, UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman and No. 1 contender Vitor Belfort will be booked for February 28 at UFC 184 from Los Angeles.
California Athletic Commission Executive Director Andy Foster told MMAFighting.com that the UFC has reached out about having L.A. and the Staples Center play host to the event. Belfort will require additional testing because of his previous commitment to the Nevada Athletic Commission to undergo extensive drug testing following the ban placed on TRT.
“He’s not going to get a free pass,” Foster said, of Belfort. “He will have blood and urine randomly tested. I would be shocked and amazed if he cheated.”
Bob Bennett, with the NAC, told MMAjunkie.com, “It was negotiated and I think we worked it out that he’s going to be able to fight over there (in California). We had conversations with Andy ensuring that out-of-competition testing will take place.”
The 30-year-old Weidman (12-0) has successfully defended the title twice since defeating Anderson Silva last year. He scored a second straight knockout of “The Spider” in December and earned a decision over former light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida in July.
Belfort (24-10) is riding a three-fight win streak – all via finish – that propelled him into the role of No. 1 contender. Last November, he stopped Dan Henderson with a head-kick knockout, and also earned finishes vs. Luke Rockhold and Michael Bisping in 2013.
Weidman and Belfort were initially set to meet this December, but a hand injury suffered by Weidman forced a delay. They were also previously linked to a bout before the NAC and UFC banned the use of TRT by fighters.