Following the news that Conor McGregor would challenge Eddie Alvarez for the UFC lightweight title at UFC 205 in November, current interim UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo has requested his release.
Aldo, who dropped the belt to McGregor last year, won the interim title from Frankie Edgar in July. He was hoping for a rematch with McGregor, who holds the UFC featherweight belt, to unify the titles.
“I heard about everything that happened through my coach,” Aldo told Combate. “He had spoken with (UFC matchmaker) Sean Shelby Saturday and Sean still had no answer about anything, and asked if I could fight on November 12. My coach said that if it would be Conor, yes, and then Sean asked him if I would fight Max Holloway or Anthony Pettis. ‘Dede’ (Pederneiras) said that for those who I’d rather do a full camp and it could be on December 10. We waited until Dana (White) publicly said that he wanted this fight with McGregor to happen. And then we expected it to happen: I’d get my rematch to unify the featherweight belts, or I’d have my belt back and fight Holloway or Pettis, since Dana said all the time that Conor couldn’t keep both belts.
“But, to my surprise, I heard last night about the fight between McGregor and Eddie Alvarez, which was also denied by Dana last week. And to make it worse, he would keep the featherweight belt, and possibly having two belts at the same time.”
Aldo now doesn’t trust White or the UFC, adding. “After being followed so many times, I don’t feel motivated to fight in the UFC anymore.”
White told the Brazilian news outlet that he will contact Aldo to “offer a solution” in hopes of keeping him from retiring.