Jessica Penne: “Bellator Hasn’t Done Much With Women”
By Joseph Lisnow | March 02, 2013
Source: FIghtersJessica Penne made history in 2009 when she was involved in the first WMMA bout under the Bellator name. She needed 95 seconds to take a TKO win against Tammie Schneider in a 117 pound catchweight fight.
Looking at the current state of Bellator's female division, Penne doesn't seem overly impressed.
"It was a big opportunity and I was excited to be a part of it," said Penne to Fighters.com. "Unfortunately, Bellator hasn't done much with the women, so I'm extremely happy to be with a promotion like Invicta [FC] that really puts women out there on a huge platform."
Bellator only has a women's strawweight championship, but the title was vacated last month when Zoila Gurgel left for Invicta FC. Her two plus year reign didn't see the belt defended once. The promotion does hold female fights on occasion.
Penne currently has a 10-1 record, with her lone blemish coming from Gurgel at Bellator 25. After that loss, Penne went to atomweight and has taken three wins. Her last two came out of Invicta FC with a TKO over Lisa Ellis and submission against Naho Sugiyama in October to become their first atomweight champion.
Next month, Penne headlines Invicta FC 5 as she makes her first title defense opposite Michelle Waterson. That is on April 5 from the Ameristar Casino Hotel in Kanas City, MO. Streaming information is yet to be provided.
Follow FightLine.com on Twitter by clicking the "Follow" button below:
- Nate Diaz Dealt Stiff Penalty For Derogatory Tweet
- Josh Burkman Stopping Jon Fitch
- Roy Nelson Approved To Fight Next Week If Calle...
- UFC On FX: Belfort Vs. Rockhold Live Coverage, ...
- Marcus Davis To Retire In Bellator As Champion
- Matt Riddle Bellator Bound, Not Legacy FC
- Fallon Fox Attention Good News For Czar Sklavos
- Ken Shamrock Thinks Floyd Mayweather Fears Mann...
- Mark Hunt Issues Deadline For Resolving Visa Is...
- Bryan Caraway Explains His Reason For Lashing O...
- Nate Diaz Sounds Off On Bryan Caraway
- Nate Diaz Suspended By UFC, No Decision Yet On ...
- Georges St-Pierre Already Solves Johny Hendricks
- UFC, Dana White Not Sure Of Actions Yet Against...
- Wanderlei Silva Says Chael Sonnen "Is A Joke"
- Luke Rockhold Talks Upcoming Bout With Vitor Be...
- Akira Corassani Wants Conor McGregor At UFC On ...
- Jon Jones Talks Victory Over Chael Sonnen
- Dana White's UFC 159 Vlog Day 2
- Chael Sonnen Has Final Words For Jon Jones
- Benson Henderson Proposes Following Win