Melvin Guillard Not Interested In A Title Run
By Joseph Lisnow | December 15, 2012
Source: Bloody ElbowMelvin Guillard (30-11-2-1 NC) has never won a championship in his 10 year career and says he's fine with it. He noticed that anytime someone wins a title, they end up becoming an afterthought once they drop it.
"At this point in my career, I'm not too focused on the title anymore because guys win the title then they lose the title and it's like they end up on a downward spiral," said Guillard to Bloody Elbow.
Guillard sees himself as someone who the UFC can test the new and younger talent against. Since competing on the second season of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF), Guillard is 11-7 for the promotion. He lost his last fight against Donald Cerrone and will return tonight on TUF 16 to face Jamie Varner. The 29-year-old has never been offered a title shot and isn't planning for one in the near future.
"Right now, I just want to keep competing and fighting," said Guillard. "I'll worry about a title when I'm 35 or maybe close to 40. That way, I can win the title, and be close to retirement."
Like FightLine.com on Facebook by clicking the "Like" button below:
- Jake Ellenberger, Rory MacDonald Heat Up Twitte...
- Jon Fitch Vs. Josh Burkman Video From WSOF 3
- Randy Couture Bellator Announcement Leaked
- Paul Kelly Sentenced To 13 Years Behind Bars Fo...
- UFC 161 Medical Suspensions Handed Down To Seve...
- Stefan Struve Interested In Facing Antonio Roge...
- Benson Henderson, Rory MacDonald, Randy Couture...