Abel Trujillo: My UFC Debut Won’t Go To Decision
By Heidi Fang | December 01, 2012
Source: MMA Fight CornerUFC lightweight Abel Trujillo (9-4, MMA) is set to make his UFC debut next Saturday, December 8 on UFC on FOX 5 and will face Tim Means (18-3-1, MMA). Originally, the fight was supposed to take place on the infamously cancelled UFC 151 card in September. Now, it'll be seen on the UFC's Facebook stream and is the first bout of the night.
Despite the cancellation of their first scheduled bout, Trujillo saw the scratched card as an opportunity to really prepare for his debut. "At the time I found out about the fight, it was exactly a month prior. Fighting a guy like Tim Means, you want a little bit more time than a month preparation, so it worked out for the better."
The newcomer training out of the Blackzilians camp at the Jaco Hybrid Center in Florida will have his hands full with Means who hasn't lost a fight in his last eleven bouts, though he had one draw on that streak. In his 18 wins, he has 13 knockouts. Meanwhile, Trujillo has won four in a row, the last two wins were with the Championship Fighting Alliance.
Confidence is riding high for Trujillo coming into his UFC debut. He doesn't believe he'll suffer from a case of the 'Octagon Jitters' at all. "I've meditated so many times on what the arena looks like, the fans, the cage, the fight, so it's like I've been there 100 times already."
At 6 foot 2 inches, Means presents and abnormally tall challenge for virtually anyone the lightweight division. Trujillo said that's where his wrestling skills will come into play. He plans to get in close with Means to do some damage.
"When it comes down to it we both have advantages and disadvantages, so I picture this fight is not going to be a decision fight. So, we're going to see who the advantages work for in this fight," Trujillo stated.
Means did an interview with Full Contact Fighter prior to the UFC 151 cancellation and said that he planned to exploit Trujillo's flat-footed fighting stance. Abel insisted that he's become a completely different fighter now that he trains with some of the sport's top lightweights like, Eddie Alvarez, JZ Cavalcante, Cosmo Alexandre and Melvin Guillard.
"If he goes off of my old YouTube videos, my fights, I was training myself in those fights, so I wasn't an elite athlete. And now I've been training with the Blackzilians for a year and I've broke a lot of those bad habits. So, he'll be in for a surprise," Trujillo said.
Trujillo ended up joining the Blackzilians after he accompanied his college friend, Kamarudeen "Marty" Usman, to the camp when he started training Rashad Evans for a fight. Usman, an Olympic wrestler, just won his MMA debut at RFA 5 via second round TKO Friday night. Once Trujillo asked if the camp needed anyone his size for sparring, the Blackzilians said yes and asked him to stay.
Hungry for a UFC win, Trujillo plans to use the grittiness he learned from wrestling to give him the edge. "Just like Tim Means has a lot of fight experience, I have tons of wrestling experience. Some of those wrestling matches are really brutal, just like a fight just without the punches. There's a lot of headbutts, elbows, guillotines almost. It's a lot of experience and it comes over to MMA real well."
The past year has given Trujillo the chance to embark on new opportunities and to shine. Now ready to take his first steps in the Octagon, Trujillo made sure to pay thanks to Authentic Sports Management's Glenn Robinson for seeing his potential and getting his career to where it is today.
- UFC 160: Colton Smith Vs. Robert Whittaker
- UFC 160: Khabib Nurmagomedov Vs. Abel Trujillo
- UFC 160: Velasquez Vs. Bigfoot 2 Live Coverage,...
- Invicta FC Bans Manager Brett Atchley
- CFA 11 Results: Fallon Fox Returns
- Alexander Gustafsson To Jon Jones: I Saw (Fear)...
- UFC 160: Velasquez Vs. Bigfoot 2 Post-Fight Pre...
- Ken Shamrock: UFC Groomed Brock Lesnar In The W...
- Jon Jones, Alexander Gustafsson Engage In Twitt...
- Jon Jones Touring Russia, Meets Up With Fedor E...
- Roy Nelson: Vitor Belfort Should Never Get A Ne...
- UFC 160: Velasquez Vs. Bigfoot 2 Weigh-Ins At 7...
- UFC 160: Velasquez Vs. Bigfoot 2 Weigh-In Results
- Dana White Remains Optimistic About A Jon Jones...
- Countdown To UFC 160: Velasquez Vs. Silva
- Wanderlei Silva Says Chael Sonnen "Is A Joke"
- Luke Rockhold Talks Upcoming Bout With Vitor Be...
- Akira Corassani Wants Conor McGregor At UFC On ...
- Jon Jones Talks Victory Over Chael Sonnen
- Dana White's UFC 159 Vlog Day 2
- Chael Sonnen Has Final Words For Jon Jones