Nick Diaz, Not Johny Hendricks, Is GSP's No. 1 Contender, Says Trainer
By Dana Becker | November 28, 2012
Source: MMAJunkieFiras Zahabi, the head trainer for UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, is not in charge of deciding who the top contender to his champion is. However, if Zahabi had a vote, that position would belong to currently-suspended fighter Nick Diaz.
"I think Diaz is the guy who deserves it most," said Zahabi, in a recent interview with MMAjunkie.com. "His fight with Carlos (Condit) was so close. Who knows? People judge it both ways."
Zahabi pointed to the Strikeforce title run Diaz had before joining the UFC, adding, "He climbed the ladder all the way. Johny (Hendricks) deserves it very much, but Diaz has been there longer and done more fights and has bigger wins."
Hendricks made his claim when he knocked out Martin Kampmann earlier this month. Diaz is currently suspended until February due to a failed post-fight drug test following a loss to Condit.
Also, St-Pierre continues to be talked about in regards to a super-fight with UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva. If that fight takes place, it would leave GSP tied up for the better part of 2013.
Follow FightLine.com on Twitter by clicking the "Follow" button below:
- Jake Ellenberger, Rory MacDonald Heat Up Twitte...
- Jon Fitch Vs. Josh Burkman Video From WSOF 3
- Randy Couture Bellator Announcement Leaked
- Paul Kelly Sentenced To 13 Years Behind Bars Fo...
- UFC 161 Medical Suspensions Handed Down To Seve...
- Stefan Struve Interested In Facing Antonio Roge...
- Benson Henderson, Rory MacDonald, Randy Couture...