UCMMA Heavyweight Champion Darren Towler Injured
By Joseph Lisnow | November 19, 2012
Source: SHERDOGUltimate Challenge MMA (UCMMA) has decided to create an interim heavyweight championship after news broke that the current holder Darren Towler (9-6) could be out of action until 2013. The champion had apparently ripped his shoulder muscle.
Towler took the injury hard apologizing to his opponent, the organization and the fans that purchased tickets.
"I am totally gutted to have drop out of such a big fight on a big stage," said Towler to Sherdog. "I love to fight [for] UCMMA, and I was looking forward to defending my silverware and bringing the win home [for] Christmas."
Neil Grove (11-6-1) was set to challenge for the title at UCMMA 31. He will now fight Tomasz Czerwinski (4-6) in the main event. Towler still hopes to fight Grove when he returns from injury.
Towler has been champion since September of last year. Grove is a former Bellator fighter who is searching for his first win since July 2011. Czerwinski is 2-3 for UCMMA and recently ended a three fight losing streak over the summer.
UCMMA 31 takes place December 1 from The Troxy in London.
Follow FightLine.com on Twitter by clicking the "Follow" button below:
- Jake Ellenberger, Rory MacDonald Heat Up Twitte...
- Jon Fitch Vs. Josh Burkman Video From WSOF 3
- Randy Couture Bellator Announcement Leaked
- Paul Kelly Sentenced To 13 Years Behind Bars Fo...
- UFC 161 Medical Suspensions Handed Down To Seve...
- Stefan Struve Interested In Facing Antonio Roge...
- Benson Henderson, Rory MacDonald, Randy Couture...