Thiago Alves Talks Weight Issues, Anthony Johnson, UFC Trusting Him, Facing Kampmann
By Bryan Levick | March 01, 2012
"I know his style is predicated on his stand-up, but once he feels my power he's going to do what most of my other opponents try and do and that's take me down," Alves said confidently. "I know it's going to be an awesome fight for the fans, but it's not going to be like any of his other fights because I plan on knocking him out or submitting him. He's a really tough guy who's beaten some top fighters, but I know I have all the skills to put him away."
Much has been made of Alves past issues concerning his weight, but he has since joined forces with famed nutritionist Mike Dolce and his "Dolce Diet," He has also made it a point to walk around at a lighter weight between fights so he's not cutting an insane amount of weight. He can ill afford another issue concerning his weight and all he needs to do is look at Anthony Johnson to be reminded of what his future could look like if he comes in heavy once again.
"I was 195 a month out before the fight which is 10 pounds less than I used to weigh four weeks before my fight," explained Alves. "Everything is different now, Dolce has taken over my diet and changed my nutrition and my strength and conditioning program. I'm walking around a lot lighter than I used. His program is a life changer and a lifestyle diet. I hate eating healthy food, but everything he makes tastes great and helps clean your system out."
"What happened to Johnson was very unfortunate; I don't understand what happened to him. I don't know he went from making 170 to not making 185," Alves continued. "For some reason he couldn't make the weight and I have no idea why. No one really knows what was going on in his camp and believe me I am not here to judge. I am just grateful that the image of me not making weight doesn't follow me around anymore."
Alves fans have been clamoring for the man who was wrecking fellow welterweights during his run to the top of the division. His style is as exciting as anyone else and with all of the new contenders who have surfaced in the UFC there are so many interesting match-ups for Alves to consider. The UFC would benefit greatly if the Alves of old resurfaces and sets his eyes on the welterweight championship.
"I want to stay active this year," Alves said."I want to fight on Saturday night, again in July and then I'd like to fight again in December. Hopefully by then I can fight for the belt or at the very least against one of the top contenders. I'll do whatever the UFC asks me. I'm all about getting paid and winning fights. I don't care who it is in front of me as long as I can keep busy and work my way towards the top again. I got my head in the right place and I know as long as I'm healthy I can beat any welterweight who steps inside of the cage with me."
Follow FightLine.com on Twitter by clicking the "Follow" button below:
- UFC On FX 8: John Lineker Vs. Azamat Gashimov
- UFC On FX 8: Jussier Formiga Vs. Chris Cariaso
- UFC On FX 8: Lucas Martins Vs. Jeremy Larsen
- Nate Diaz Dealt Stiff Penalty For Derogatory Tweet
- Josh Burkman Stopping Jon Fitch
- Roy Nelson Approved To Fight Next Week If Calle...
- UFC On FX: Belfort Vs. Rockhold Live Coverage, ...
- Ken Shamrock Thinks Floyd Mayweather Fears Mann...
- Mark Hunt Issues Deadline For Resolving Visa Is...
- Bryan Caraway Explains His Reason For Lashing O...
- Nate Diaz Sounds Off On Bryan Caraway
- Nate Diaz Suspended By UFC, No Decision Yet On ...
- Georges St-Pierre Already Solves Johny Hendricks
- UFC, Dana White Not Sure Of Actions Yet Against...
- Wanderlei Silva Says Chael Sonnen "Is A Joke"
- Luke Rockhold Talks Upcoming Bout With Vitor Be...
- Akira Corassani Wants Conor McGregor At UFC On ...
- Jon Jones Talks Victory Over Chael Sonnen
- Dana White's UFC 159 Vlog Day 2
- Chael Sonnen Has Final Words For Jon Jones
- Benson Henderson Proposes Following Win