Winner Of Faber V. Bowles To Earn Bantamweight Title Shot
By Mark Wayne | July 24, 2011
Source: ESPNThough longtime WEC posterboy Urijah Faber recently gave UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz the most difficult title defense of his career in a rematch of a 2007 bout that saw Faber emerge the quick victor, "The California Kid" was passed over for an immediate rubber match with the champ in favor of Demetrius Johnson.
As such, it was recently announced by the UFC that Faber and Bowles would square off next, with the winner to face the winner of Cruz vs. Johnson. UFC president Dana White recently spoke with ESPN.com about the match up.
"Both Urijah and Bowles lost to Cruz," White said. "The winner of their fight will earn a rematch. Johnson is 9-1, on a four-fight win streak and beat former [bantamweight] champ [Miguel] Torres in his last fight."
Faber also spoke with ESPN.com about the prospect of facing a fellow former champ in Bowles.
"I definitely want the rematch with Cruz," Faber said. "It's a fight that needs to happen. But I'm fine with having another fight going into it. It definitely gives me extra motivation. Beating Brian Bowles is just one step closer to getting that belt. I'm sure Brian Bowles is motivated himself to get another shot."
Bowles and Faber will meet at UFC 139, which is expected to take place at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California.
- Jake Ellenberger, Rory MacDonald Heat Up Twitte...
- Jon Fitch Vs. Josh Burkman Video From WSOF 3
- Randy Couture Bellator Announcement Leaked
- Paul Kelly Sentenced To 13 Years Behind Bars Fo...
- UFC 161 Medical Suspensions Handed Down To Seve...
- Stefan Struve Interested In Facing Antonio Roge...
- Benson Henderson, Rory MacDonald, Randy Couture...