It’s Thursday, which means a) we’re closing in on the weekend and b) another edition of the roundup. We’ve got a few good stories for you day, including Matt Serra effectively calling it quits, Alistair Overeem’s next fight, and Carlos Condit talking about a rematch with Nick Diaz. We’ll also link you up with the full UFC 160 Countdown show, in case you needed to get even more psyched for this Saturday’s event. Here are the headlines:
• Serra says he’s “walking away” from professional MMA competition but didn’t fully commit to retirement. The former UFC welterweight champion hasn’t fought since 2010, but says he would consider coming back to fight on a UFC card at Madison Square Garden. Given the difficulties the UFC has had in penetrating the New York market, Serra may be too far out of the game when the opportunity comes. But we’ll keep our fingers crossed.
• Although he had previously been slated to return at UFC 164, Overeem will now be taking on Travis Browne at the UFC’s debut card on Fox Sports 1. This event is becoming more stacked with each passing week and should be an awesome way to kick off Fox’s new channel offering.
• Condit says he’s open to fighting Diaz again, in order to settle the controversy over their first match. The fight makes sense for both guys and would certainly generate a lot of hype. We’ll keep an eye out over the next few days to see if Diaz responds.
• Here is the UFC 160 Countdown, shown in three parts. We’ve got a ton of great fights to check out this weekend, so stay tuned to Fightline for a full breakdown of the event.