It’s been a hectic 24 hours for Xtreme Fighting Championship (XFC), who stripped Nick Newell of the lightweight title and later showed the fighter the door. Since then, XFC president John Prisco stated that Newell wanted only ex-UFC names as he looks to land a spot on the promotion’s roster.
“I just had a different vision of what I wanted from my career than XFC had and I decided to go my separate way,” said Newell to MMA Junkie. “I’m past being an up-and-comer. I feel like I’m a veteran and I’m ready to prove myself. I’m a different point in my career than Scott [Holtzman].”
Newell gained attention with a 9-0 record with eight round one stoppages. He is also missing a portion of his left arm.
His original opponent Scott Holtzman knew there were issues about the contract being signed, but didn’t see it ending this way. Holtzman now takes on a to be determined fighter at XFC 24 for the vacant belt.
“He said he was looking for an opponent with a bigger name, so that’s basically it,” said Holtzman. “I think he’s trying to get around me and find someone with a bigger name, I guess, which is obviously pretty insulting to me.”
XFC 24 is June 14 from the USF Sundome in Tampa, FL.