Since it’s that time of the year when the struggle to get the sport sanctioned in New York becomes a recurring news item, it makes sense to have a weekly update post. So here it is! This week it’s all about the battle in Albany.
• The Wall Street Journal posted this little gem of an interview with Lorenzo Fertitta. Of course, you already know who Fertitta is going to blame for the ongoing legislative impasse.
• The New York Post knows who the real enemy is in Albany: Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver.
• Here’s the New York Daily News throwing some numbers around in regards to how much money has been shelled out for the cause.
• You gotta love it when religion gets involved.
• Meanwhile, while war is being raged over the ban on pro MMA, a bill is being introduced that would serve to regulate amateur MMA. The State has traditionally kept its nose out of amateur stuff (see boxing and wrestling), so I don’t have high expectations for this thing to become law. Either way, here it is in case you want to look it over.
• Here’s AXS.tv with a pretty insightful video about MMA in New York.
• Oh yeah, there was also another underground fight show in New York City last weekend.