The TUF 17 Finale was Saturday night, and stuff happened. Remember the Uriah Hall hype train? Yeah, it was derailed by a spunky underdog who refused to be afraid. Remember that ready-made storyline of Miesha Tate rematching with Ronda Rousey? Yeah, Cat Zingano murdered that thought. But hey, this is MMA, where nothing is ever guaranteed, and fortunes can change on a takedown or a knee to the teeth. Here’s your news:
• Ladies and gentlemen, your new Ultimate Fighter is Kelvin Gastelum. Despite watching Hall destroy everyone in the TUF House, the little dude from Arizona stepped into the cage on Saturday night aggressive and determined, and came away with the split decision. What happened? According to Hall, he was just trying to have some fun, hence his lack of death-dealing. Here’s Fightlinker with some thoughts on the event as a whole.
• Meanwhile, Zingano survived some early Octagon jitters to smash Tate with a series of bout-ending knees. Was the fight stopped early? Champ Rousey thinks so, but Tate wasn’t defending herself as much as trying to digest them for nourishment, so I think the outcome was affected all that much.
• The UFC and FOX’s strategy of moving the Ultimate Fighter TV show around until no one anywhere knows when and where it airs continues. Do I even get FOX Sports 1?
• Hey, there’s another UFC coming up this weekend. It’s UFC on FOX 7, and here’s some sweet preview to wet your whistle.
• In case you missed it, FightLine’s own Mike Stets interviewed Invicta FC champ Michelle Waterson.