To be wearing UFC gold since 2007 is a spectacular feat, but it is a feat that’s clearly hell on the body. It was revealed yesterday that welterweight deity Georges St. Pierre fought Nick Diaz last weekend with a hurt ankle, and now that issue has grown into a full-fledged Achilles Tendon injury that could see him out for six months. So for those keeping score, that’s an Achilles Tendon injury on top of an ACL tear on top of a groin injury on top of countless bumps and abrasions to the Canadian’s face. If GSP suffers either a bone break or a severe concussion, that’s bingo! Here are your headlines!
• GSP. Ouch.
• Two more UFC fighters failed their post-fight drug tests recently, with Alex Caceres testing positive for marijuana and Riki Fukuda pissing hot for stimulants (!). Caceres got a six-month suspension; Fukuda got the axe.
• Who else might be on the “endangered fighters list”? Chris Leslie of MMAFrenzy speculates.
• Speaking of excessive drug use leading to unemployment, here’s Matt Riddle burning every bridge possible.
• Hey, there’s a Bellator tonight.
• Darce Side Radio was last night, and the special guests were Marc Raimondi – the New York Post’s resident MMA scribe – and TUF 17 competitor Bubba McDaniel.