Michael Bisping’s status took a hit when he lost to Vitor Belfort earlier this year, dropping him from a potential UFC middleweight title shot. Now, “The Count” will return to action in April at UFC 159: Jones vs. Sonnen against Alan Belcher.
For Bisping, the quick turnaround will give him a chance to re-claim his spot in the 185-pound pecking order. He appeared on UFC Tonight Tuesday and discussed the match.
“My last fight didn’t go to plan,” Bisping said. “I have to go out and get redemption for my last performance. I have to go out and knock him out. I want to prove I’m one of the best in the middleweight division and to do that, I’ve got to take him out and take him out in style.”
Bisping was defeated by Belfort via second round TKO, and “The Phenom” has made sure to let the Brit know the win was a big one for him. Recently, Belfort posted a series of messages on Twitter referencing the fight, much to the dismay of Bisping.
“Vitor tweeted me directly, ‘Look Michael Bisping, my head kick to you has started a fever across the world,’ and he had pictures of people throwing kicks which I took exception to and found a little insulting,” he said. “So I challenged him to a rematch in Nevada where he can’t get a license to use his steroids. I’m a clean fighter, forget the steroids, let’s do it again.”
Bisping was referencing reports that Belfort was allowed an exemption to use testosterone in Brazil, despite having previously tested positive for steroids while competing in Las Vegas.