Former Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz opened up on a number of subjects during a conference call earlier this week, most of which involved Georges St-Pierre. The two will collide next Saturday night at UFC 158: St-Pierre vs. Diaz for the UFC welterweight title.
For Diaz, this is his first match back since a suspension last year following a loss to Carlos Condit. And, while he has GSP on his mind, that doesn’t mean it is his sole focus.
“I look past every opponent because I know I’m in this,” Diaz said. “I’m not just looking at one obstacle. I think for me, it’s easier to deal with when I accept the fact that I’m never going to get out of this.”
Diaz added that he’s gunning for the top spot in all of MMA, saying, “it’s not just good fights, it’s fighters. I’m looking past every opponent to get to No. 1 in the welterweight division, and then I look past that.”
The Stockton bad boy continued to inform everyone of what he would do if allowed, and that would be compete everywhere from lightweight to middleweight.
“If I had the option available, I would be gratefully accepting (a fight) with the 185-pound champion (Silva) or the 155-pound champion (Benson Henderson),” he said. “I would take either fight and I think I could beat either guy.”