It’s Wednesday on a week with no UFC event scheduled for the weekend, which invariably means that the newscycle is slow. Molasses slow. Referee Steve Mazzagatti-stopping-a-fight slow. But hey, that’s fine. That just makes the choice news tidbits that break all the more savory and interesting. So here, then, is your morning roundup. Take your time. Enjoy them.
• If you liked your UFC offerings scattered across multiple platforms like pay-per-view, the FOX network, FX, Fuel TV and Facebook, then I have bad news for you: the new channel FOX Sports 1 is going to be scooping up those shows that would normally be on FX and Fuel TV. The good news, however, is that there will be live fights on Wednesday nights starting on August 17.
• Mark Coleman officially retired. If you don’t know who that is, you are not a real fan of the sport.
• Bellator Season Eight welterweight tournament finalist Doug Lima broke his paw, which puts his rematch with fellow tourney finalist Ben Saunders on ice until the summer.
• According to Dave Meltzer (and if you don’t know who that is, you really aren’t a fan), UFC female bantamweight superstar Ronda Rousey is a top five pay-per-view draw for the organization. Meltzer’s always good for some behind-the-scenes perspective. Always.
• BloodyElbow ace scribe Brent Brookhouse put in some legwork and here’s the fruit of his labor. In case you haven’t been following this story, it’s an ugly saga.