twitter google

Sarah Kaufman Confirms She Is Now With The UFC: Exclusive

Former Strikeforce women’s bantamweight champion Sarah Kaufman confirmed with on Monday that her contract has been transferred over to the UFC. Kaufman will still compete on April 5 at Invicta FC 5 against Leslie Smith.

“Yes, I am (a fighter for the UFC),” Kaufman said. “My Strikeforce contract transferred over when they shut down (in January).”

Kaufman (15-2) added that she expected the contract transfer to happen because the UFC gave her written permission to compete for Invicta FC.

The Canadian stated that she wished the timing would have worked out to compete in the first-ever UFC female fight, but that honor went to Ronda Rousey and Liz Carmouche. Kaufman was in attendance for the historic fight.

Kaufman lost to Rousey in 2012 via armbar, and understands why she wasn’t the one paired with her for UFC 157.

“It was bad timing on my part to have such a big screw up (the loss to Rousey),” Kaufman said. “But that is the fight game, and there will be more opportunity. Based on my last fight with Rousey, I understand it wouldn’t make sense (for a rematch). I can’t be upset in terms of how things have gone.”

After being forced to pull out of a fight planned for late last year, Kaufman wants to “fight as often as I can, fight the big names, the toughest opponents and challenge myself,” going forward.

Check back on FightLine later this week for more on Kaufman, including her thoughts on the Rousey-Carmouche, competing in the UFC compared to Invicta FC, and how she went from a dancer to a fighter. You can also follow Kaufman on Twitter and Facebook.