twitter google

Anthony Pettis Says He Has Been Contemplating Featherweight Move

Former WEC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis stunned many MMA fans when he made it known that he was willing to face UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo.

The bout has since been signed, as the two will meet in August for Aldo’s title. No exact location has been confirmed by the UFC.

But, the decision was not one made in haste by “Showtime” because he didn’t want to wait around – again – for UFC lightweight title shot.

“For me, it’s been something I’ve been thinking about for a while,” said Pettis, while appearing on UFC Tonight Tuesday. “I can make the weight easily. The reason why I haven’t done it before was Erik Koch, who is a teammate of mine, was right up there for a title shot and I didn’t want to cross paths with him.”

Koch, who had two title matches planned with Aldo last year, was defeated recently by Ricardo Lamas. Some felt Lamas was the No. 1 contender, but Pettis jumped over him despite having yet to compete at 145 pounds in the UFC.

Pettis said there should be no issues getting down to featherweight, saying, “I have clean diet and it’s becoming a lot easier (to cut weight). Before my last fight, I was in the hot tub for two minutes and I made weight.”

Even if he is successful in winning the title from Aldo, Pettis has plans to return to 155 pounds in the future, adding “my goal is to become the champ (at lightweight).”