Nick Diaz announced he was retiring from MMA after a loss to Carlos Condit last year in a bout for the interim UFC welterweight title. During a press conference on Wednesday, Diaz further explained his reason behind the announcement.
“I didn’t think I would be getting this fight,” said Diaz, who meets Georges St-Pierre at UFC 158: St-Pierre vs. Diaz for the title in March. “I figured they would probably stick me back with some hard fights and I would have to work my way back into fights I want.”
Diaz (26-8) was suspended following the loss to Condit after testing positive for a banned substance during the post-fight drug test. He served out his suspension, and will now meet St-Pierre in Montreal.
“I just looked at it as I needed time to see things out,” Diaz said. “I can’t really say much about (the announcement). You put the right fight (in front of me), I am going to fight; I am a fighter.”