Today is a big day, as we’ll get a brand new season of The Ultimate Fighter for our viewing pleasure – or displeasure, if this season continues the reality show’s downward trend of staleness. Of course, after seventeen seasons, there’s sure to be a notable lack of “freshness” to the concept of “dudes living in a house and fighting each other”. But the vehicle keeps running, so the UFC and FOX will keep on driving it. And who knows, if what ESPN writer Josh Gross says is true, TUF 17 could be a much-needed breath of fresh air. Anyway, here’s some news first…
– Here’s MMAFrenzy with a little video preview of tonight’s two-hour TUF 17 season premiere.
– Behold the gnarly-ness of UFC president Dana White’s ear surgery. Or don’t. It’s graphic. Yeah, maybe don’t.
– Since the UFC moved from SpikeTV to channels owned by FOX, did you find it more difficult to figure out what fights were airing on which channel? Yes? Well prepare to get even more confused, as FOX is renaming Fuel TV to FOX Sports 2, and FX will no longer be showing UFC events. Ugh.
– Bellator lightweight contender and Olympic judoka Rick Hawn may have fallen short in his title bid against champ Michael Chandler, but at least he got some sponsorship money out of it, right? Wrong! It looks like one of his sponsors didn’t like his performance and is refusing to pay him. THAT’S NOT COOL.
– Sister site WrestleNewz.com has got results from the WWE Royal Rumble, if that’s your thing.