Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal (8-1-1 NC) looks at contract negotiations as someone always leaving unhappy. Lawal’s current employer Bellator is in the middle of a contract dispute for Eddie Alvarez (24-3), who has taken his complaint to the courts.
“It’s a power struggle,” said Lawal to Bloody Elbow. “Somebody is gonna be happy, somebody is gonna be unhappy. As far as people jumping in, saying Bjorn Rebney is a tyrant, or this and that … promoters in general are all the same. You just have to read the contract. They want their money and they’re going to try to keep their money.”
Lawal will be making his MMA return next week after being away from competition for over a year. The former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion was suspended after he tested positive for steroids in early January of last year. He was released from the promotion after making derogatory comments about a female member of the NSAC.
Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney signed Lawal to a contract that allows him to compete in MMA and for TNA Wrestling. Lawal also said the contract permits him to box and he wants to fight Kimbo Slice.
Lawal’s debut for Bellator takes place January 24 as he meets Przemyslaw Mysiala (16-7) in the opening round of the Season 8 light heavyweight tournament. That show comes from the WinStar World Casino in Thackerville, OK. It airs on Spike TV with the main card starting at 10 p.m. ET.