twitter google

Anthony Pettis, Donald Cerrone Talk Gilbert Melendez Earning UFC Title Shot

Anthony Pettis was in the same position of Gilbert Melendez when he entered the UFC, but he never received the promised title shot. Instead, Pettis took a bout with Clay Guida while awaiting Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard to finish out their rivalry.

Pettis lost to Guida, and has been working his way back towards a title shot ever since, dealing with injuries throughout 2012.

Reports have stated that Melendez will face UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson in April upon entering the Octagon. It had been previously stated that the winner of Pettis and Donald Cerrone at UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Dodson would earn the next shot.

“I’m not worried about title shots right now,” said Pettis, during a conference call on Tuesday. “I am just worried about getting ‘W’s.’ (Cerrone) is a tough, dangerous opponent in front of me and I am just concentrating on that.”

Cerrone said the decision ultimately doesn’t come down to either fighter, adding, “(Melendez) has held that belt for a while. That’s not for Anthony or I to decide. We’re going to put on one helluva fight and just wait to do what they tell us to do. Both of us have worked hard and deserve (a title shot).”