Daniel Cormier Wants Frank Mir On Free TV

Daniel Cormier (10-0) and Frank Mir (16-6) were set to meet on the November Strikeforce card before the former UFC heavyweight champion went down with an injury. While the status of that fight remains unclear, Cormier has been pushing for the UFC to make it official. Now, Cormier wants the UFC to air the fight for free on FOX.

“I would love for it to be on FOX,” said Cormier to Fight Hub TV. “Have it be a free broadcast and that will help expose me and get more fans behind me who may not know me. That is what I want right now.”

If the fight was to happen, Cormier wants it to take place from the HP Pavilion in San Jose, CA on April 20.

Cormier is undefeated in his MMA career, which includes five wins out of Strikeforce. He is their Grand Prix Champion after defeating Josh Barnett (31-6) last year. Mir also only competed once in 2012, losing a UFC heavyweight championship fight against then title holder Junior dos Santos (15-2).

“That is the fight I have trained for and would be excited to train for it again,” said Cormier. “Mir wants the fight. I think it would be a great fight. It’s like we are doing Joe Silva’s job for him.”

The UFC has not addressed if Cormier – Mir is still in the works. Cormier meets Dion Staring (28-7) on the final Strikeforce card this month, while Mir’s next fight is not known.

Recommended

Follow Fightline