Former UFC middleweight contender Patrick Cote has decided to drop to welterweight. The decision for Cote was made after Alessio Sakara was forced out of their planned bout in 2013 at UFC 158: St-Pierre vs. Diaz.
“We’ve been thinking about it since about a year now,” Cote told MMAWeekly.com. “I was a pretty decent middleweight a couple years ago, but now those guys are really, really big.”
Cote returned to the UFC earlier this year, suffering a loss to Cung Le. He rebounded to earn a disqualification victory over Sakara, but the finish was filled with controversy and a rematch was booked.
Sakara, however, was forced out after learning of an issue with his kidneys. Cote added that he was only remaining at middleweight to have the rematch, but said “in my mind the target is March 16. If it’s not happening there, I’ll be ready to fight around that (time).”