UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz wants nothing more than to step back inside the Octagon. However, that will not be happening anytime soon for “The Dominator,” who recently had a second surgery on his knee, discussed the situation on UFC Tonight Tuesday.
“I was with a guy who I train with a million times and we were moving, we were doing 50-percent movement skills with each other, shadow boxing, and I was on with my brace,” Cruz said. “I was moving and I went to hit a pivot and the tissue just popped. My knee felt unstable and shortly after I got off the mat I said something is wrong.”
Cruz, who first went down with a torn ACL earlier this year with preparing for a fight with Urijah Faber, said he was “just shocked” by the latest incident, but has already moved on.
“I’ve had my couple of days of cry-baby time,” Cruz said. “The problem is I am losing key time, key moments in my life and in the peak of my career.”
As for the UFC bantamweight title he currently wears, Cruz said he has not been informed of anything by the UFC involving the belt. Renan Barao won the interim title from Faber and is expected to defend it against Michael McDonald in 2013.
“I want to thank the UFC for the support to this point – Dana (White), Lorenzo (Fertitta),” Cruz said. “They make the decisions (regarding the title). There is nothing I can control. The second I try to control that I will drive myself crazy. So, I leave it in God’s hands and I pray that things happen as they are supposed to.”
Cruz has not fought since 2011, defeating Demetrious Johnson. He was off for several months while filming The Ultimate Fighter with Faber.