The UFC had been hyping a Roy Nelson (17-7) vs. Shane Carwin (12-2) fight since before the two were named as opposing coaches on the current season of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF). Then Carwin went down with a knee injury and was pulled from the fight. Nelson wasn’t shocked.
“I figured something like that was going to happen,” said Nelson to MMA Junkie. “It’s not the first time he’s pulled out of a fight with me.”
The two were slated to originally meet at UFC 125. Carwin underwent neck surgery and the fight was scratched. Carwin is currently on a two fight losing streak. The defeats came against former champion Brock Lesnar (5-3) and current champion Junior dos Santos (15-1). Before those fights, Carwin was undefeated and had stopped all his opponents by round one. Since Nelson won TUF, he is 3-3 for the UFC.
While Nelson-Carwin has never happened, it doesn’t stop the former TUF winner from joking about the two meeting for a third time.
“Right now, I’m just going keep plugging away and keep moving up the ladder,” said Nelson. “Roy Nelson-Shane Carwin III? I think it might look good on the posters.”
Matt Mitrione (5-1) will now face Nelson on the finale of this season’s TUF. They will meet in the main event on December 15 out of Las Vegas.