Daniel Cormier doesn’t know any more about the behind-the-scene workings at Strikeforce than you or I. And that has Cormier questioning when he will fight again.
Cormier, who earned the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix title earlier this year, was expected to make his final appearance for the promotion in September originally. That was changed to November, and he was paired up with Frank Mir.
However, another change occurred when Mir was forced to pull out of the planned encounter. Strikeforce eventually cancelled that event, leaving “DC” still seeking another bout as soon as possible.
That date could be January, as Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker recently said in a press release the fight promotion would return in 2013. Cormier wants on that card, and he wants Mir – an ex-UFC heavyweight champion.
“The January show is happening, so let’s not lose interest in Strikeforce,” said Cormier, on Inside MMA Monday night. “It’s a great organization. I don’t have an opponent but with a two-month delay, hopefully Frank Mir’s injury has healed and he’ll be ready. I haven’t been told I’m fighting for sure, but they’re saying it’s a stacked card.”
Cormier is undefeated in his pro MMA career, including wins over Antonio Silva and Josh Barnett. He is expected to join the ranks of the UFC upon making his final Strikeforce appearance – whenever that may be.