Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza’s manager, Gilberto Faria, says his fighter is 100-percent healthy. That likely comes as a bit of a surprise to most MMA fans who found out Tuesday that Lorenz Larkin – not Souza – will be the next challenger to Strikeforce middleweight champion Luke Rockhold.
“‘Jacare’ is 100-percent healthy. ‘Jacare’ normally needs 8-to-10 weeks for his camp in preparation for a fight,” said Faria, in an interview with MMAWeekly.com. “So, for November 3 card, the clock is ticking and most like he will not be able to fight on this card.”
Faria believes his fighter will likely compete again inside the Strikeforce cage in 2013, adding “We just hope they have a card for early January. ‘Jacare’ gets cranky when he stays four, five months without a fight.”
Souza dropped the Strikeforce 185-pound title to Rockhold last year. He defeated Derek Brunson in his most recent Strikeforce appearance.
Rockhold and Larkin will be the co-main event for the November 3 Strikeforce: Cormier vs. Mir card from Oklahoma City.