twitter google

Junior Dos Santos “Penciled In” For December, According To Lorenzo Fertitta

UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta informed ESPN that UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos will compete next on the year-end card slated for December 29. Who dos Santos meets – Cain Velasquez or Alistair Overeem – remains a mystery, however.

“There is no contract but that’s what we have penciled in my office,” Fertitta said.

Dos Santos (15-1) defeated Frank Mir earlier this year in his first title defense. It was reported after the fight that he would face Velasquez next, the same man he won the belt from in 2011.

Overeem was slated to be the first defense for “Cigano,” but the former Strikeforce heavyweight champion was taken out of the fight after failing a drug test. His suspension would end right around the end of December, allowing for him to be placed in a fight if he is granted a new license.

Fertitta said Overeem’s case would be heard no later than December 27, but he has been told it could be even earlier, adding, “The best case scenario is he’s licensed in enough time to put him on the December card.”

Keith Kizer, head of the Nevada Athletic Commission, however, stated, “I don’t think there is any truth to that and I would be against (an early hearing). That is not how our rules read.”