Daniel Cormier had just finished up a training session for his September fight against an opponent yet to be announced. Well, thanks to Twitter, Cormier found out quickly that he did have an opponent, and it was former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir.
“I was getting out of training because I thought I fought September 20, so I was in the gym working out, starting my training camp,” said Cormier, in an interview with MMAWeekly.com. “Bob (Cook), my manager, told me (Wednesday) he’s like, ‘They’re trying to bring over a bigger named guy, we don’t know who it is yet, but they’ll let us know something soon.’ So, (Shawn) Bunch went on Twitter ’cause I put a picture up of him hitting pads and he goes, ‘I guess you’re fighting Frank Mir.'”
Cormier claimed the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix title with a victory over Josh Barnett earlier this year. The heavyweight division will be finished under the Strikeforce banner once the Cormier-Mir bout is over, with “DC” expected to join the UFC.
Currently, Cormier sports an undefeated record since joining MMA as an Olympic wrestler. With a win over Mir, he’ll likely be able to make a strong case for a shot at the UFC heavyweight title.
“You’ve got to tip your hat off to the executives at Zuffa for doing something like that and to Frank Mir for doing it,” Cormier said. “I respect Frank greatly for stepping in and taking this fight. This fight can elevate my status in the sport a ton.”
The fight is expected to take place either in October or November of this year. It will air on Showtime, but no location has been confirmed.