You didn’t have to understand anything UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva said during a media conference call Monday to promote UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen 2 to be excited. “The Spider” threw out some comments on his opponent, Chael Sonnen, like no one has heard before.
Silva-Sonnen will be the main event for the July 7 event from Las Vegas. It will be held along with the UFC Fan Expo, making it one of the biggest weekends in MMA.
After leaving Sonnen to promote the fight and push for it for the past two years since they first fought, it was Silva who took the bull by the horn and got the attention of all on the call.
“Chael is a criminal. He’s been convicted of crimes and he doesn’t deserve to be in the Octagon,” Silva said. “When the times comes and the time is right, I’m going to break his face and every one of his teeth in his mouth.”
Below are some of the more notable quotes from Silva’s brief time on the call:
– “Chael Sonnen’s going to get his (expletive) kicked like he’s never done before.”
– “What I’m going to do inside the Octagon is going to change the image of the sport.”
– “I’m going to break his arms, legs; he’s not going to be able to walk out of the Octagon by himself.”
– “I’m going to make him eat everything he said about our country. I’m going to make him pay, and make sure he never disrespects any fighter (again).”
– “I am going to beat him maybe the way his parents should have beat him. I’m going to beat him like he’s never been beat before.”
All of this was translated by Ed Soares, the manager for Silva. It’s possible that Soares even toned it done a touch, as the emotion Silva put on display was out of character.
“I’ve promoted every Anderson Silva fight since he’s been in the UFC, and I’ve never heard him talk even remotely like this before,” UFC president Dana White said. “He doesn’t usually say anything disrespectful about his opponent. I’ve never heard Anderson Silva talk like this.”