All 10 heavyweights were on hand for the UFC 146: Dos Santos vs. Mir pre-fight press conference in Las Vegas Thursday afternoon. Taking a little different style, the first four fighters were brought up, followed by the next four, and finally, the main event.
Lavar Johnson, Stefan Struve, Shane Del Rosario, Stipe Miocic, Dave Herman, Roy Nelson, Antonio Silva, Cain Velasquez, Frank Mir and current UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos were all on hand, as Jon Anik hosted the event.
As usual, FightLine will have complete coverage Saturday night of the entire event. Below are some notes from the press conference:
– Lavar Johnson says his biggest improvement as a fighter has been his speed and footwork inside the cage.
– Stefan Struve let it be known that he hopes to have between 50 and 60 UFC fights by the time he retires. He is currently 24 years old and has 28 bouts overall and 10 in the UFC.
– After being in an auto accident that nearly ended his career, Shane Del Rosario says, “All has come full circle. I’ve put it all behind me, had a really good training camp, and honored to be here.”
– “Since day one of training my goal was to get to the UFC,” said Dave Herman. “I’ve paid my dues, (now) I want to stay here, win and make a name for myself.”
– Stipe Miocic talks about his dream of playing baseball, but adds, “it didn’t work out, and I fell into MMA.”
– A change of opponents doesn’t bother Dave Herman, who says he has went to regional fights and had his scheduled opponent change that late.
– Roy Nelson was his usual fun-loving/hating self, saying, “If we had no time limits like in the Gracie days, I’d win all of (my fights).” He talks about MMA fighters needing to be just as entertaining as athletic.
– “I worked with Mike Dolce for this fight,” says Antonio Silva. He wanted to lose weight so he could move faster and be more effective against his opponent, Cain Velasquez. “My opponent is a very tough guy, but I am ready for this fight.”
– Velasquez said he is 100 percent, has his body rested and prepared for Silva. He suffered a knee injury before his bout with Junior dos Santos last year.
– Frank Mir believes something must have got lost in translation after the comments made by Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. He adds that, “saying a guy sucks and is simple, but he broke your arm,” doesn’t make sense.
– Mir also says he wants to face the best, and “Everybody I’ve faced is the best in the world. I beat them because I was a little bit better.”
– Dos Santos lets it known that he did sleep with the UFC heavyweight belt the night he won it. Mir informs dos Santos that his wife wouldn’t have let him do that.
– In regards to only being a boxer, dos Santos says, “I have a plan B, plan C, but my plan A is working, so I will keep doing that.”