twitter google

Junior Dos Santos Declares He Is Nearly 100 Percent Healed

UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos has his sights set on a return to the Octagon this summer, as “Cigano” told MMA fans late Saturday night that he is nearly 100 percent healed from knee surgery.

“I’m feeling great about my knee already. I think another 10 days I’ll be 100 percent,” said dos Santos, in an interview on the UFC 142 post-fight show on FUEL TV (thanks to for transcribing). “I’m training boxing, I’m lifting weights, but I can’t train jiu-jitsu yet. But I think another 10 days and I’ll be training normally again.”

Dos Santos has been out since claiming the UFC title from Cain Velasquez this past November. Up next for dos Santos will be Alistair Overeem, who became the No. 1 contender with a victory over Brock Lesnar last month.

No date or place has been set for the dos Santos-Overeem bout, though the Brazilian said, “It could be amazing for me to defend my title here in Brazil. It could be special.” The UFC has a return trip to Brazil planned for June.