Tito Ortiz wants the chance to correct his loss Saturday night at UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida against Antonio Rogerio Nogueira by finishing out his UFC contract. “The People’s Champ” has just one fight remaining on his deal, but after the loss to Nogueira, it remains unclear if he will be allowed to compete again.
“Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. I’m going to take some time off and enjoy the holidays with my family,” said Ortiz after the fight. “I have one more fight on my contract. I’m going to give the fans one more fight that is my best.”
Ortiz shocked the world when he submitted Ryan Bader earlier this year, halting a long losing streak. Ortiz proceeded to step up on short notice and take a fight with Rashad Evans this past August, suffering a submission loss of his own. Now, with a 1-6-1 record in his last eight fights and coming off a physical loss, the career of Ortiz is in the hands of UFC president Dana White.
“I gotta talk to Tito. We’ll see,” said White at the UFC 140 post-fight press conference (thanks to MMAMania.com for transcribing). “I’m always looking out for guys’ health. It’s not like Tito got viciously knocked out (Saturday); he got punished to the ribs. We’ll see.”