The end of Strikeforce appears to be no more, as UFC president Dana White spoke to the public about the fight organization earlier this week. White said a TV deal with Showtime is nearing completion, keeping Strikeforce going strong into the new year.
“It’s staying. Just sit and wait and watch what I do,” said White, in an interview with MMAFighting.com. “Trust me, it’s going to be just fine. That deal should be wrapped up any day now, and then I’ll make the decisions on who goes where and what’s going to happen. So we should know hopefully by Monday.”
Strikeforce has two events planned in the coming weeks. First, Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Masvidal will go down December 17, followed by Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine on January 7. Plans for the finals of the heavyweight grand prix are also in the works.
Zuffa purchased Strikeforce earlier this year, and many believed it was only a matter of time before the UFC absorbed what it wanted and tossed the company away. Now, it appears that Strikeforce will survive in some form.