Junior dos Santos will make history when he meets UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez in the main event of UFC on FOX: Velasquez vs. Dos Santos this Saturday night. The bout will mark the first event on the FOX Networks since the UFC signed a multi-year deal with the broadcasting giant.
For dos Santos, however, the fight is all about securing the UFC belt. He became the No. 1 contender with a decision victory over Shane Carwin earlier this year to improve to 13-1.
“I don’t see it as a pressure, but an extra motivation,” said dos Santos, on fighting on FOX, in a recent interview with Tatame.com. “I want to do the best inside the Octagon and make my Brazilian fans proud. I’m glad to see the sport growing, being recognized and it deserves to be.”
Dos Santos had had a difficult time balancing interviews and appearances with training as the days wind down to the biggest fight in his career.
“The media has been talking more to me than before. Many invitations and requests for interviews, it’s actually hard to find time to train and deal with it,” dos Santos said. “I’m glad to feel their interest and people’s affection, and I feel they have my back on this journey. I’ll be faithful and I’ll pour my heart out to bring this belt to Brazil.”
UFC on FOX: Velasquez vs. Dos Santos take place from the Honda Center in Anaheim, California. FightLine.com will have complete coverage of the entire event.