UFC President Dana White reported Thursday that he has stepped in to further the negotiations between Showtime and Strikeforce. White believes that, if a deal can be made, the fight promotion could live on.
Zuffa, which currently owns both the UFC and Strikeforce, has allowed the UFC to sign several top Strikeforce talents in the last year including Alistair Overeem, Dan Henderson, and Saturday night’s UFC 137 main event fighter Nick Diaz. Many have felt as if it was only a matter of time before Strikeforce was folded, but that may not be the case now.
“I met with Showtime (Wednesday) and I had a great meeting with them. I’m jumping in (to negotiations between the two sides). To get this deal moving, we needed the kinder, gentler side of the UFC there in the beginning,” White said. “Now, I’m going to go in there and close it. We moved the ball forward and we’ll see what happens. There is no deal done. We have a chance that Strikeforce lives.”
White has said previously that the only way Strikeforce would continue to remain active is if it can work out a deal with Showtime to remain on television. Previously, White has had trouble working with Ken Hershman, but Hershman has since left Showtime to become President of HBO Sports.