twitter google

Broken Hand Will Keep Dominick Cruz On Sidelines

UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz had a second successful title defense Saturday night at UFC on Versus 6, defeating Demetrious Johnson by unanimous decision. Unfortunately, Cruz suffered a broken hand during the fight and will be out for an extended period.

During the post-fight press conference, Cruz never made mention of the injury, only telling UFC President Dana White about it after the event ended.

“You know one of the things I respect about the kid? He’s got a broken hand and had one the entire fight. He broke his (left) hand and is going to have surgery. Not only did he not stop fighting and keep coming up 100%, he doesn’t even (expletive) say anything about it,” White said. “He goes through an entire press conference and doesn’t say anything about his hand.”

White said that Cruz told him he didn’t bring it up because it didn’t really matter, saying, “I’m going to have surgery and come back.”

When “The Dominator” does return, he will likely face the winner of the upcoming Urijah Faber-Brian Bowles fight, which takes place next month at UFC 139. Cruz has split his two meetings with Faber, including a decision win earlier this year, while also owning a victory over Bowles from their time in the WEC.

“I’m pumped for that fight,” Cruz said. “I believe the 135-pound division is going to set the bar for everyone else in the UFC.”