twitter google

Vitor Belfort Reveals Knee Injury Forced Him Out Of Cung Le Bout

Vitor Belfort was forced to pull out of a planned UFC 139 bout with Cung Le due to a knee injury, “The Phenom” recently said. Wanderlei Silva has been signed to replace Belfort in the co-main event on November 19.

“I’m 34 years old, so I’m not a kid anymore. And I know all the problems of fighters in the game right now is they rush to jump in the ring with injuries and they perform bad,” said Belfort, in an interview with Inside MMA recently. “And that’s happened with me in the past. It’s the knee, it’s been recurring.”

Belfort has plans to continue fighting for a few more years, and already has his sights set on a next opponent for when he is ready to return in December: Chael Sonnen. Sonnen has continued to call out numerous Brazilian fighters since last year, including the likes of Anderson Silva, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Belfort.

“I think that would be a great match for me,” Belfort said. “He totally disrespects the country and he knows how to sell (a fight).”

Sonnen first has a match up with Brian Stann planned for next weekend, with the winner likely becoming the No. 1 contender to Silva’s UFC middleweight title.