Mayhem Miller Was Afraid He Would Miss MMA Going Mainstream

Jason “Mayhem” Miller has been around the game for a long time: the 30-year-old began his career in 2001, when MMA was still seen by the majority of the populace as being akin to dog-fighting.

Fighting the whole way, Miller has watched the sport grow from novelty to international draw – but he still didn’t think that he would see the sport he’s dedicated his life to really hit mainstream until he had already hung up his gloves. With the UFC having recently struck a landmark network TV deal with FOX, Miller’s dreams of seeing MMA go truly big are being realized and at a time when he can still compete; this is something that Mayhem told FightLine.com he is very pleasantly surprised by.

“Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta have done a tremendous job of ushering in a new era of sports where now we’re on FOX and we’re going to be a mainstay of American culture,” said Miller. “Not just in a fringe way, but in a ‘we’re on network television’ way.

“It was bound to happen,” he went on. “I’m just happy that I’ll be fighting during the era when that’s happening. I was afraid that I would miss it and that it wouldn’t be here for another 5-10 years. But obviously the big businessmen in charge of our sport are smart guys and they’ve done the right things, made the right connections and shook the right hands to get us to where we need to be.”

You can currently catch Miller coaching the fourteenth season of The Ultimate Fighter opposite Michael Bisping Wednesday nights on Spike TV at 10/9 Central. Check out FightLine’s weekly episode recaps, complete with breakdowns of the fights.

Recommended

Follow Fightline