Carlos Condit was already gearing up for what he thought was the biggest fight of his life, but then the stakes were upped.
Condit was scheduled to face former champ and respected MMA veteran BJ Penn at UFC 137 in a co-main event supporting a welterweight title fight between champion Georges St-Pierre and Nick Diaz, but Diaz lost his spot in the main event for not fulfilling his media obligations and was replaced by Condit. Now, The Natural Born Killer is slated to face off against the most dominant champion in the world not named Anderson Silva; St-Pierre hasn’t lost since 2007, when he was knocked out in a shocking upset by The Ultimate Fighter 4: The Comeback winner, Matt Serra.
Shortly after that bout, which he admits he didn’t take seriously enough, St-Pierre has been nothing but dominant. He earned back his belt in short order and then defended it against the likes of Jon Fitch, BJ Penn, Thiago Alves, Dan Hardy, Josh Koshceck and Jake Shields. Regardless of the champ’s uninterrupted run of success, Condit recently told The Boston Herald that he’s confident in his chances over St-Pierre and believes he brings something different to the table than the rest of the men who’ve so far challenged for the belt.
“He’s human,” Condit said. “He’s an incredible fighter and I know some of the best fighters in the world haven’t been able to figure him out, but I’m dangerous. I’m a dynamic fighter. I think I have a lot of ways to win and I also have a mentality and a mental toughness that a lot of guys have problems with. I think that’s been my edge in a lot of fights.”
Condit will get the chance to display his mental toughness on October 29, when he and St-Pierre square off at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.