John Olav Einemo was part of the Golden Glory team that was cut from Zuffa as a whole earlier this year.
Now, with the UFC coming to an agreement with Alistair Overeem for “The Reem” to compete in the UFC, it would seem that the door is back open for Einemo to return.
“At the moment I don’t really know because we’re just focused on Sergei’s (Kharitonov) training and getting him ready for the fight,” Einemo said. “I think my management is very busy. My feeling is that it’s going the right way. I really hope and believe that this thing with Zuffa (is being worked out). I don’t think it’s going to be any problem anymore; I think it’s already fixed.”
Einemo is currently working with Kharitonov for his Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix semifinal fight with Josh Barnett at Strikeforce: Barnett vs. Kharitonov, which goes down Saturday night on Showtime.
Einemo was signed by the UFC to face Shane Carwin in his debut, but Carwin was bumped to the main event and Einemo went on to face Dave Herman. Herman scored a decision victory and that gave the UFC a clause to release Einemo.
“It’s a very exciting division for me to go to,” said Einemo, of the UFC heavyweight ranks. “My last fight, I feel I have a lot more capability than that. It was five years since I fight the last time; the first time in a big show again. So I think I (can) make some trouble in that division.
Einemo took those five years off from competing to raise his son and provide for his family before getting back inside the cage. The 35-year-old is 6-2 in his career, with his other loss coming to Fabricio Werdum.
As for the Barnett-Kharitonov fight, Einemo’s choice is quite obvious.
“Sergei by knockout, maybe in the second round,” he said.