Looks like Big Nog got his wish.
Following his shocking and career-salvaging knockout victory over Brendan Schaub last month at UFC 134, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira told MMAFighting.com’s Ariel Helwani that his most desired follow-up fight would be against either Frank Mir or Brock Lesnar and in either Japan or Toronto, where he believes the best audiences outside of Brazil reside.
Today, the UFC announced that Big Nog will next appear in a rematch against fellow MMA heavyweight legend Frank Mir at UFC 140, which is scheduled to take place at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto.
“Both men are known as two of the premiere submission specialists in the division but have shown dangerous striking skills as well,” UFC president Dana White said of the bout.
Many predicted the end of Nogueira’s storied career when he faced off against Schaub, but Minotauro defied expectation and dispatched of the highly-regarded prospect within the first frame. Prior to that bout, Nogueira was knocked out in the first round himself by current UFC heavyweight champ Cain Velasquez. Big Nog has gone 2-2 in his last four, balancing TKO losses to Velasquez and Mir with victories over Schaub and Randy Couture.
A former UFC heavyweight champion, Frank Mir has rebounded from a first round knockout loss to Shane Carwin by taking out Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic and Roy Nelson in convincing fashion. He last appeared in action at UFC 130 this past May, where he earned a unanimous decision over Roy Nelson.
UFC 140 is set to take place on December 10.