twitter google

Former UFC Champion Ricco Rodriguez Vows To Return Following Recent Loss

Ricco Rodriguez has no plans to follow his pre-fight statements.

Rodriguez had said in the lead-up to his Saturday night fight with Seth Petruzelli that if he lost, he would retire from the sport.

But, the former UFC heavyweight champion backtracked on that after being defeated by Petruzelli via first round knock at Bellator 48 last night.

“I have to go back to the drawing board, but I’m not done,” Rodriguez said. “I’m definitely going to come back. Hopefully, Bellator gives me another opportunity.”

Rodriguez once defeated Randy Couture to claim the UFC title. He was defeated by Tim Sylvia by TKO in 2003, losing the strap. That was also the last time he had been stopped by knockout or TKO.

“This is a tough job,” said Rodriguez, who had his personal-best 12-fight win streak snapped. “Every fighter can get knocked out, every fighter can get subbed. It’s a fight. It’s a way of life. You have to pick up the pieces when you’re down. When you’re up, you’re up. But even when you’re up at the top of the mountain, everyone’s trying to knock you down.”

“Suave” had not lost since 2009 when Mario Rinaldi claimed a decision victory over him at WFC: Battle Of The Bay 8.